Instagram @menty_yu

25.7.14

CHAO PHRAYA | HONG KONG


A lot of my friends feel so surprising when I tell them I have never been to Thailand, where was/is/will be the one of the main Asian travel spot to Chinese and Hongkongers, whatever news that lovely country has. Luckily, we have some good neighborhood featured by authentic Thai food in Hong Kong, which is nice for those people haven't been there yet. Kowloon city, is on the list, and always, at the top ranking position of that yummy Thai list. 

Accompanied by my blogger friend, who's solid tasting experience for local Thai and Southeast Asia, I finally trying had the chance to try out one of the famous Thai restaurant in Kowloon City, Chao Phraya. I guess this name is coming from that famous river, Chao Phraya River, which brings the most impressive image of busy, crowded river business of Thailand. 



Iced Thai Milktea
Thai Fried Flat Noodle 泰式炒金邊粉 $48 (Set lunch with one small drink)

It is another clean, organized and simple neighborhood-restaurant. It is just-full but not busy during lunch time; they have 10-person round table and also 2/4-person seats; the restaurant itself is featured by an extremely orange atmosphere with the lights, which might be over-warm and even a little annoying. You gonna be served by local-Thailand, and probably owners or co-owners, who is seriously not welcoming any food brought from outside! (She will 'get mad' on you)

Set Lunch Menu is available, priced from $48-7x including one small Thai-drink, and reduced price for some other dishes. I was happy about the drinks attached, because you do have a rich and choose-able menu instead of just coffee/tea, the only difference is you are offered the small size. Our choice is Iced Thai Milktea, which has a strong but totally-different tea taste, thinner, lighter, and sweeter.

Thai Fried Flat Noodle, has a plain-looking, not huge potion, not over-satisfying by the toppings. The thin flat noodle is soft and moisture in taste, heavily dressed in tomato sauce but follows the Thai sweet and sour way. Overall it is an OK-dish.

Fried Pumpkin Curry Soft Shell Crabs $108

Talking to the price, I think Fried Pumpkin Curry Soft Shell Crabs is a little over-charged, however, that little basket of soft shell crabs change my idea in a big way. It is perfectly fried to have a dry, clean, milky yellow look. Grab one with your finger, you can immediately recognize how soft it is, that is undoubtedly matched your expectation of all delicious vocabulary, such as tender, soft, moisture. Well, my point is not only this, I was more convinced by its crunchy paper-thickness shell, covered by the fluffy fried flour. As to the pumpkin, it doesn't wow me a lot, but I do consider this into my fault, because I am always expecting coconut taste in any kind of curry dishes no matter it should have or not. So maybe, it fits your taste, but anyway I believe any dishes having a name as 'soft shell crabs' there deserves your try.


* Average $100 around per head




Chao Phraya 
昭拍耶

G/F, 19 Lung Kong Road
Kowloon City
Kowloon
Hong Kong
+852 2382 4855

Mon to Sun. 11am - 3pm & 6pm - 11pm



Please give a LIKE to my Facebook Page !
You can also fine me on other networks through Home Page links.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...