Instagram @menty_yu

31.7.14

GOODBYE FOR A WHILE | THE PAWN | HONG KONG


Every time passing Wanchai on the top deck of Tram, I will be attracted by the crowds, noise and sexy shade of the building where The Pawn is located. Last week 21st to 23rd July, The Pawn is holding its last-three-day lunch menu and of course the 'Good-bye' night featured with half price drinks and free snacks. A renovation will be taken during August and maybe early September, then a brand-new Pawn with the new British Chef, Tom Aikens, would lead this British-Gentleman (The Pawn) onto a new stage.


To be honest I'm not a person who can stand for hot summer, but the shinny and unique busy street view is just too attractive than air-conditioning indoor. Arrived a little bit late during lunch time (lunch time runs till 3pm), I'm lucky to avoid the business lunch peak. The Pawn is not a fancy restaurant, but just gives a relax, home-feeling, and classical dining experience with warm and cheerful services. 


The Pawn occupies three floors of this old colony-style building in Wanchai. Each floor is featured by one concept; Bar, Dining and Rooftop. At the same day, I was having lunch set on the Dining floor (2/F), and catching up with friends on the Bar floor (1/F). All the floor enjoy a terrace where catches my attention several times as I mentioned at the beginning of this blog.


I was so shocked that the bread is served as a whole with such a big size! So shame that I could only take 1/4... and it tastes so delicious with the room-temperature butter. I even prefer taking just bread without butter nor sea salt, coz the perfect baked bread has a perfect dough texture, very soft and fluffy but still keeps density and firmness, and has its lovely grain aroma.

Caesar Salad with Bacon, Croutons & 24 Month Parmesan

Beer Battered Fish & Chips, Green Peas, Tartar Sauce

For Lunch Set, you can choose Daily Soup or Caesar Salad as appetizer, one main course selected from 3 and end up with dessert or a cup of coffee/tea.

I was so impressed by the Caesar Salad even it looks not that attractive. The main reason is 24-month Parmesan which enjoys a super strong but easy-accepted cheese taste. When the salad is served as fresh cold, I had the solid and fresh experience with the slightly sweet vegetables with those slices of cheese; but as I continued, the cheese started to melt and became more liquid, adding a stronger cheese flavor.

The deep fried fish with its golden flour skin looks aggressive to me for its size and its greasy style. I won't take all fried part but I did have a try, it is heavily dressed with salt and oil, but I have to admit when oil meets a right potion of flour, it can create such a fancy crispy and mouth-watering taste. To take the hot fish, I would recommend Tartar Sauce as a perfect accompany which upgrades the taste and make up the weak flavor of fish itself. Chips are in a thinner presentation for this dish, which reduces the potato softness but increases crispy effect; but I guess the opinion towards this kind of chips will differentiate a lot. 



* Average per head $185 for Set Lunch plus 10% service charge.



(Photo from The Pawn's official website)

The New Pawn will reopen in Autumn 2014, with new Chef, Tom Aikens.





1/F - 3/F, 62 Johnston Road
Wanchai
Hong Kong






Please give a LIKE to my Facebook Page !
You can also fine me on other networks through Home Page links.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...